Sunday, October 27, 2013

New York, Bagels, and Gluten Free

I was born in New York and even though I left when I was 8 years old, whenever I return, I head for those comfort food items I associate with the good times.  Like pizza, bagels and a street corner hot dog with mustard and sauerkraut.  Last week, I returned to New York City for a cousin's wedding. It was the first time I've been back in many years. The first time I've been back as a gluten free diner (allergy related).

Which means.... bummer... I can't eat pizza, bagels or a street corner hot dog.

In the world of gluten free, pizza was replaced fairly successfully, and hot dogs can be enjoyed with mustard and sauerkraut off a plate. But a bagel! Not being able to pick up a New York bagel with cream cheese made me want to cry.

When I arrived at my Uncle's apartment on the upper west side, I noticed something strange in his refrigerator. A package of gluten free  Udi's Bagels.  I learned my Uncle has recently joined the hoards of gluten free initiates and is thriving on the new diet. I have never tried Udi's gluten free bagels but I have tried other brands... and, well, yuck...

Gluten free baking is an art form. I could make this a very long post about different gluten free baking brands but this is about BAGELS...

Hungry, I opened the package.  They looked interesting.  They had a nice texture, of course, a lot denser than normal bagels.  But okay, what the heck, I stuffed one in the toaster.

It popped up a few minutes later looking nice and toasty.  Brown with a hint of crunch.  I lathered it in butter.  I put it to my lips and bit down.  It was delicious!  I have never had such a great textured gluten free pre-packaged bagel in my gluten flour-less life.

I came home to Los Angeles.  I went to my favorite grocery store, Fresco Community Market in Los Angeles which carries many gluten free options.  I purchased my own package to test it again. This time I bought Udi's Mighty Bagel.



I just finished it.  Every last crumb, and then sat down to write this post.

Click here to read more about Udi Baron and his wife Fern from Denver, Colorado.

No comments:

Post a Comment